Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Color blocking...it's a love/hate relationship

I'm slightly obsessed with color blocking...along with most things from the 80s that are making their way back...I see it everywhere...but we've developed a love/hate relationship....usually because I'm super jealous of anyone that does it correctly which makes me hate them, or it's done really wrong which makes me hate whoever screws it up.....Plus it's kind of cocky and pretentious...Just kidding...The problem is, when done wrong, it reminds me of a preschoolers room, or someone that ran out of paint...but when done well, it can add SO much to a space...Examples of good...
Done in black is probably my favorrite...So good...the black adds a lot of sophistication and chicness to the space...Found here...
Not generally a mint green/Easter green fan, but this space is done really well...The white color blocking really gives the illusion of taller ceilings and adds some architectural interest....Found here...
Love that it gives the doorway more presence...Found here..
Emily Henderson's guest room makeover (Found here)...a great example of how to use color blocking to use a color you love, that could overpower a space...The green might have been too much if she hadn't used white color blocking at the top..It brings your eyes up, and makes the ceilings feel taller...
What do ya'll think? Yes? No?....Talk to me people...

5 comments:

  1. Definitely digging the black, I would love to try this in a space but am seriusly scared!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's just paint, easy fix if it doesn't work out! Recommend frog tape though, that stuff is seriously amazing!

      Delete
  2. Wow I never thought I would love Easter green either, but that is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That door outlined with paint is awesome! Thanks for the inspiration, off to buy paint and tape :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck! and again I highly recommend frog tape...here's my link with some tips on doing stripes that might apply! http://thegrayhouseontheleft.blogspot.com/2012/06/striping-it-up.html
      Hope it helps :)

      Delete

Nothing makes me happier than seeing your lovely comments...except maybe wine...yeah wine makes me happier...but still I love your comments :)