Thursday, January 9, 2014

A media room for dad...

As I collect the data from the poll ya'll took for me a couple days ago (thanks to everyone that took it by the way), I thought I'd kick out a quick mood board post for you guys. I'll be back in a few days with the results.....hopefully.
One of my favorite families ever wanted to turn their basement family room into a media room for Dad. The hubby and I are beyond movie lovers, and plan on adding a media room to our next homes list, so this is something I had put a lot of thought into for myself. When they contacted me, I was excited to get a few ideas down on paper...so to say. They didn't want to change the main floor plan of the basement (it wasn't in our budget to add platforms or stadium seating) so we went with more of a family hangout/media room feel. Rereading the e-mail they sent me, I realized one word kept popping up... "cozy"...There's a lot of things I can't do, but cozy is one I can. They already owned a chocolate brown sectional (very similar to this one). I went from there:



A media room for dad...


Black lamp- We didn't end up using these exact ones (at over $800 a pop, they were way out of our budget), but we found some simliar on Ebay, and ordered those for $200 for the pair. 
arhaus.com


Chocolate brown rug- No surprise here.
zgallerie.com


Fur throw- Nothing says cozy like a faux fur throw draped across the sectional.
wayfair.com


Wooden serving cart- I am so obsessed with this serving bar, and I can't wait to get my own. For the Filips though, it will serve as a tea and coffee bar (Dad is a big coffee drinker).
target.com


Contemporary curtain- The color of these curtains is one of Dad's favorites (mine too, not that it matters). These curtains are fantastic (I have them in my living room) and a great price for a tight budget.
target.com





Brass coffee table- I wanted a coffee table that could withstand a lot. While this room's main purpose is a media room, it will also serve as a hang out spot for the family. The tables needed to be big enough to sprawl out a board game, hold snacks, and most importantly wipe clean when all is said and done. Metal is great because theirs less dusting, and they take pretty much any stain you throw                      at them.
         


                   They already owned this rustic style sideboard, and I thought it would be great as a candy/popcorn bar. A few pretty containers full of their favorite candy, and a cute retro popcorn machine, and they're all set for their favorite movie. And the movie posters aren't these exact ones (we went with a few of Dad's favorites), they were all bought from allposters.com and they framed them themselves with Target frames.
So what do you think? "Cozy" enough? Let me know what you think!

9 comments:

  1. Definitely cozy! I definitely need your help in creating this same kind of space in our new media room!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm obsessed with those brass coffee tables, and love the idea of using two round tables in front of a sectional. Lots of space for gaming, popcorn, and probably someone climbing on it at my house ;) Great work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tara! I am also obsessed with those tables....totally normal.

      Delete
  3. A perfect family friendly space. Great example of how you can mix textures and finishes, but still make the room look put together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great mix of materials! Definitely cozy, although I generally prefer an ottoman over a coffee table in a movie watching space! Great work though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do too Cici, but this room needed a place for board games and food as well as a place to prop up the feet, these tables seem to do it all!

      Delete

Nothing makes me happier than seeing your lovely comments...except maybe wine...yeah wine makes me happier...but still I love your comments :)