So here's a little bit of fun news for ya'll on this fine morning; Danielle over at The Sweet Pea Pod, is not only my new favorite person because she finally bumped my followers to 100, and because she made this fantastic knob hanger that I'm in love with, but also she nominated me for the Liebster award....that's right I'm movin' up ladies and gents. The Liebster award is an award given to "up and coming bloggers" (those with 200 followers or less) with the intention of being paid forward. Liebster meaning kindest, dearest, beloved, cute, and endearing in German... color me blushed. So all of the nominees were given 11 questions to answer and asked to list 11 random facts..so here it goes!
11 random facts:
1. When I was much younger I used to carry a jar of peanut butter around with me, just in case I got hungry....even at sleepovers.
2. In that same category, I dip both fruit loops and oreos in peanut butter as a snack (my sister does too).
3. I have 1, 5, and 12 year old brother-in-laws, and a 14 year old niece...figure that one out.
4. I've mentioned this before, but I was named after shampoo (not the name obviously but the spelling).
5. I've been with my husband since I was 14, meaning 45% of my life.
6. I absolutely love cats, always have, but am terrified to have one.
7. I am scared to death of bats.
8. When I eat a sandwich or hamburger with pickles on it, I pull the pickles off first because I don't like the surprise of a pickle in my bite (I need to know where they are at all times).
9. I said for years that twins freaked me out (no offence to any twins, it's just because of a bad experience during the movie,The Shining), but then I married one.
10. When I was a kid, I would have watched HGTV or This Old House over cartoons any day.
11. I'm secretly a man...no totally kidding, just couldn't think of an 11th one.
1. What is your dream home? You all will probably be surprised to know, that my dream home would probably be a loft downtown within walking distance to everything. I imagine exposed brick with huge windows and fantastic city views, plus a private master bedroom upstairs. Something like this would do just fine:
Ahh, so beautiful, yet so impractical...
Probably Good Feeling by the Violent Femmes (is that a weird answer), an oldie but a goodie, because it reminds me of my fantastic, dreaming teen years :)
3. Who is your celebrity design alter ego? (ex: Nate Berkus, Martha Stewart, Holly Becker @ Decor8, etc).
I know since I've refereed to her as a genius many a time on this blog (because she is), everyone thinks I'm going to say Emily Henderson (who I do love), but our styles are actually quite different. I would say a mix of Genevieve Gorder and Johnathan Adler (yes, I realize they are on complete opposite ends of the spectrum), I love a little soul in my spaces, something with a story/history like Genevieve Gorder, but I also love anything funky and bright, like Johnathan Adler.
4. What is your favorite blog post you have ever done and why?My favorite blog post was probably this one, where I wrote about a design project (an office) I did for a new client, Leesa who is now a very good friend/partner in crime. It was only my second paid design job I ever did, and although I had a blast working on my first project, this is the first one where I felt comfortable in my own skin as a designer. Basically this project really made me realize THIS is what I want to do with my life, and I'm very thankful for that push and haven't looked back since.
5. What are 3 of your favorite blogs and why do you love them?
Young House Love, of course. I love what they can do on a budget and that they are so down to earth.
Style By Emily Henderson- I love style of writing on her blog, it's very real, and it makes me feel like I know her. Besides, I'm a sucker for great vintage finds, and she shares all of hers on her blog.
The Hunted Interior-Kristin probably has the closest style to my own, and she mixes finishes and patterns flawlessly (the type of designer I aspire to be).
6. How long have you been blogging and why did you start?
I started blogging 11 months ago (I can't believe it's almost been a year...yikes), because I was hoping to get any and all design work I could. I soon realized that I enjoyed blogging about interior design as much as the actual design work, and would love this blog to be my full time job some day.
7. "I'll ----------- if it's the last thing I do".
Travel. I know that's a broad answer, but I would love to see more of this spinning rock some day. When I was 19 two of my friends, and I traveled to Europe (Paris, London, and Rome), but I'd like to do it again, as the person I am today and with my husband. We've been dying to do Venice, so that will definitely be our first stop, and who knows when, but it WILL happen.
8. Best vintage or decor find of all time?
This one seriously took some thought. I really can't decide, but I do love the vintage pulls on the back of my dining chairs (although I'm kind of already over them actually on the chairs). Read about them here.
BROWN! When we first bought our home, everything was in neutral brown colors,it was just the style, so we have a sectional, curtains, throw pillows, and practically everything else in this chocolate brown color that I grew out of. I definitely don't have anything against a deep, pretty brown, but I feel like everything in my house for well over a year, was brown and I'm over it.
10. Who is your favorite author?
Augusten Burroughs...Yes, I realize that's probably an odd answer, but he just has this great way of taking serious life events and seeing the humor in them. I respect that. His books are so interesting, and never boring. I'm a huge Harry Potter fan, as well, so I have to say J.K. Rowling too.
11. Favorite Pattern?
A year ago I would have said the chevron, but I'm over it (I know...gasp), today I would say maybe an Ikat, yes they've been around longer than anything, but I love that each one is different. An ikat print, has so much dimension to it.
What, you don't have an orange ikat tea pot? hmmm...
And now 11 "up and coming" blogs I love:
Jane over at Urbane Jane
Christine, Monika, and Catherine over at On My Honor
Jennifer at The Chronicles Of Home
Ashleigh over at Made in Morningside
Lauren and Mike over at A Commoner's Castle
Jess at Mish Mashed Mama
Vanessa over at Glitter Glimmer Sparkle Shimmer
Angie at DIY it Now
Ashley over at Faith, Love, and Decor
Melanie over at S(Thomp)ing Ground
Jen at Harrison Home
Thanks so much, Danielle!